Monday 17 August 2009

Bolt smashes record and wins gold

Super sprinter Usain Bolt has smashed his own world record and won the 100m at the World Athletics Championships.

The Jamaican raced home in 9.58 seconds, beating America's Tyson Gay into second place and another Jamaican Asafa Powell into third.
Bolt knocked 0.11s off the world record he set at the Beijing Oympics, which in a 100m race is a huge chunk.
It's the largest amount of time a men's 100m world record has been broken by since 1968.

Gay finished in 9.71s, which is the third fastest men's 100m of all time. Only Bolt has run faster - at the Olympics and at the World Championships in Berlin on Sunday.
Great Britain's Dwain Chambers was also in the race, and he finished in a brilliant time of 10 seconds exactly.

That's the fastest he's run all season, but was still almost half a second slower than Bolt's winning time.

After the race Bolt said: "I was ready, I was feeling good after the semi-finals.
"I knew it was going to be a great race and I came out and executed it. It's a great time. I did well and I feel good in myself."

-Nathan133

No comments: